Monday, March 13, 2017

Tantalizing Territory

There must be something magnetic about our north-western slope; the neighborhood cats are gathering there today!  First I noticed my big boy, tuxedo-kitty, Diego had made himself a little nest along the northern fence and was watching something.  Soon I saw what looked too much like a bobcat!  I think it's a domestic "tiger" kitty, but it's HUGE!  And it stalks like a wild Big Cat.  It had its eye on the northwest corner of the pole-barn and took up its "king-of-the-hill" position where it can command a nearly panoramic view.  Diego then took a circuitous route to a protected spot between our back-deck and a tree.  The two fat cats watched each other for quite some time.  I was doing things in the house, but I kept watch for Diego whenever I passed by a window.  After a while, Percy (my calico) wanted to go out the front door.  Soon after, I spotted her in the back yard looking at the other two cats, but she had the good sense to come back in when she saw me at the deck-door.

Some time later I noticed the big "tiger" that I've nick-named Big-Bob, had adjusted his position to the north side of the pole-barn.  At some point, I persuaded Diego to come in, but he only ate briefly and begged to go back out.  Big-Bob was no longer in sight.  Diego took up the "king-of-the-hill" position Big-Bob had abandoned.  But I looked toward the western part of the yard where it slopes most steeply and now I saw two big cats coming up the slope!!!  Two!  Both of them very large kitties!  And both of them running toward my house!  Even though they are just cats, I have to admit my heart gave a little leap of alarm!  I immediately looked to see how Diego might be responding, and he was running towards them!!!  Clearly he wants to make friends?  However, once the neighbor kitties saw Diego, they change course back to their house.  Actually, I don't know where they live or if they even know each other.  The more Diego approached them, the more they receded.

John has been faithfully keeping our birds fed with a large outdoor feeder.  Do the cats want to come because they hope to hunt the birds?  Or is it the view?  I often saw our dogs station themselves at the crest of the north-west slope and apparently enjoy watching the sunset!  Both our Sheltie-Beagle and our Beagle.  They would just sit and gaze until we called them in for bed-time!  I'll have to keep an eye on the cat situation however, because, twice now, Diego has come in with a minor bite or scratch on him.  I always thought it was from tussling with Percy.  Now I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment